Chard Guildhall, Somerset
Chard Guildhall was completed in time to celebrate the accession of Queen Victoria on 29 June 1837. This grade II* traditional Town Hall with Hamstone Roman doric portico, pediment and clock tower was extended in 1883 with a new iron framed Corn Exchange.
Subsequent alterations and extensions had fallen into disrepair. These were demolished and redeveloped in 2001 – 2003 as part of a minor regeneration scheme, with the help of substantial grant aid from English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The historic fabric was assessed, stabilised, refurbished and reinstated in a well researched and sympathetic manner. A new Mayor’s Parlour, Concourse, Cafe, Lift, Theatre, Stage and changing rooms were constructed within the confines of the town centre site.
The building is now accessible to all and the fire precautions improved. New spaces and materials augment the dramatic features and fabric of the original structures.
Chard Guildhall is now being used for the whole range of the planned community activities anticipated. This imposing building will retake its place as an important and historic venue in Chard and South Somerset.
Contractor: Melhuish & Saunders